In Brez, Surrounded

A tall Earther female dressed in Hydrolic power armor stepped out of the AAV and followed General Ma’pel out. She walked next to her and said "Greetings I am Brooke, I am the colonial negotiator here to aid the general in these talks. She nodded respectfully to all who were there while eying the army of Gangers suspiciously. If they got rowdy she would have to get the general out quickly.

Sira gave a respectful bow with fist clasped in palm to Brook, "Greetings Brooke, may the Great Buddha heap blessings upon your path.
Many local community organizations and family groups wish to make their voice heard in a progressive way here in Brez.

We have already agreed to consider moving the San Station from Thomasville to Simonsburg. But still much negotiation is needed."

"Greetings, it is a pleasure to meet you honored Monk, may blessings be upon you as well.
I look forward to a polite civil discussion over many things.

Not that it really matters where San Station is, but it will be costly to move, a lot of high tech equipment, very expensive to just up and change. Might I ask what changed your mind about that? Seems to be odd that in a discussion in Brez that a totally different station is to be moved. Especially since the route was agreed upon by both your leaders and our leaders.

What are the other concerns besides that?"

The General nodded to the Unen representative. “The Colonies are open to trade certainly. Thought sending ships would mean you had to pass Dunesphere. I’m sure you can see were that would be hazardous to your people. I think it best you found another route but we can arrange trade visas for merchants easily enough.” she turned again to Sira. “Brooke brings up a good point. Also moving the station would cause a long delay in the entire line operating. Would it not? I do not think such a delay is in anyone’s best interest. Perhaps instead a line could be added to this Simonsberg and tied into the main line once the work was completed?”

Sira smiled serenely, "When the area near Thomasville was originally selected the VofV were not informed that it was firmly in Church of One lands. I have faced their hateful kind before and had i known such a fact i would have personally requested a different site.
Simonsburg will allow trade between Brez and Simonsburg as well as allowing Colonial Natives three stops they can visit.
This is a reasonable request by the natives. It will be simple to use three Hover Rigs to move San Station to its new location.
It did only take a week to set up San Station at its current location after all.
Since it will take at least a week to recover the train test it check all systems and get it back in service this week delay is neither excessive nor outside of the best interests of compromise. "

Vektor watched with growing interest. Sira seemed very open to compromise. The EEF General was worried about currency, which Vektor didn’t wholly understand. The last to step off the air machine seemed wary. When the General introduced herself, Vektor was about to say something when he was interrupted by the cursed ones. Vektor knew it would be foolish to interject, so he waited. Besides, he knew none of the Brezans would say anything before he did. How long would it take for the Earthers to notice that? wondered Vektor.

The General shrugged and replied to Sira. “Well that is your area so I will defer to your judgment and I see no reason to disagree with the move. I assure you I know how difficult it can be to deal with the Church of One especially when one is not an Earther and in a position of authority, like myself.” she gestured at her face taking in her long pointed ears and metallic green eyes as if to remind everyone that she was plainly not human. “That being said I am not sure that ignoring Thomasville or any church holding is the best solution. However that is a matter to be settled between your people and this projects backers in Chooru. I have been authorized to make certain economic arrangements at this time but my main concern is the safety and security of the Colonies and their citizens. Obviously this train theft is a problem. I would like to know as much of what happened as possible and the status of the passengers and crew. After that we can continue. I have been led to believe that some representative of this city wished to speak with the EEF is that not true?”

Sira nodded respectfully to the General, “Yes honored Jinn, there are many locals present and they have deferred to this native here.”
Sira said this while motioning to Vektor but in a way that leaves other Brezans to step forward and speak if they wished to.

Brooke was about to mention her concerns about building a station next to a town recently captured from the Church of One as they would want to move troops to retake it. But she didn’t want to cut off the local representatives…though considering there was no government it was probably one of the stronger Gang leaders. Those types tended to be oversensitive and considered anything not going there was to be a direct challenge, rather juvenile but it would be best not to antagonize them. She was still getting used to this diplomat role, so much simpler when she used to be able to punch most problems away.

So Brooke smiled and waited to hear what this Olgog would say.

Vektor saw the monk defer to what he called “the locals.” Vektor knew what that meant, the conquered peoples upon whose lands you are building in the name of prosperity without regard to what it means to them. He tried not to let that realization get to him.

“I cannot pretend to speak for all us locals, but I do speak for the Great Northern Army, who has many sympathizers among those of us present. My name is Vektor from the Gang of the Uf Mag’og. I came to this place because there were rumors that a great transport station was being built here so that two great Earther colonies can trade. None of us who actually live here were brought in to discuss the matter. I also hear that it is being built with the authority of the EEF as they supposedly rule Brez. Since that tiny detail was both surprising and offensive to me, I requested an audience. So thank you for coming, there is much we wish to know of your intentions as rulers of Brez.”

General Ma’pel nodded to Vektor. “Greetings,” she began. “I am pleased to have this chance to speak with you. However you seem to be operating under a few misconceptions. Firstly the EEF does not rule Brez or anywhere else. We are a military which defends the Colonies. Of which Brez is one. Which is why a few years ago we put down an intelligent nightmare which was building an army beneath it. We have never stopped watching the city.
It was built by Colonialists as part of their second stage expansion. No one claimed this land before the reservoir and city were built. True it was destroyed by a combination of flame winds and angry olgog tribes driven to violence due to the so called “goblin genocide”. Still why you should be surprised that the Colonies would wish to reclaim it escapes me.
As does your concern that no one in Brez was consulted. You have no government or rulers. Whom would we ask? Each individual gang, many of whom claim to rule the city? You worry for your homes perhaps? Well has anyone demanded or even asked you to leave? Really this station only stands to improve your quality of life. It is to be a resource available to all, like the cities reservoir.”

Vektor’s mind raced, and wondered if he heard what he thought he heard. “So Brez is considered an Earther colony?”

Sira seemed confused by this as well, "Honored Jinn i know Brez was once a colony but my knowledge of your history is all second hand .
If this is still a colony where is its Colonial Government?

For example Chooru is ruled by the Republic Workers Council. My home in Doyest Vesk is ruled by the Valley of Vegalia Comission.
Who signs the colonial charters and paperwork of Brez as far as the EEF is concerned? Because they should be here for this meeting"

Sira seems generally confused by this.

“Brez was an Earther colony. That was a fact. That the Colonies are interested in its future is also fact. What it is now and what it can be are less clear.” General Ma’pel looked between Sira and Vektor.
“I am not here to claim ownership and that Impression is not what I intended. Rather the EEF and the Colonies at large would rather see the city rebuilt to the benefit of all.”

Vektor looked confused, though it was hard to tell if it was genuine or purposeful, “So wait, if it isn’t an Earther colony already, then you wish to reclaim it as an Earther colony. We’re simple folk, here. If you’re reclaiming these lands as colony lands, what does that mean to us locals?”

“We do not wish to “reclaim” the colony, we wish for this land to grow and prosper. Of course this is your home and that will not be changed by anything we do. We do hope in time to help you rebuild the city and through trade make it prosper. I am sure your people would be much more comfortable if this city was rebuilt as opposed to living in a ruin.”

The General replied directly to Vektor.
“What it means is largely up to you, the people of Brez. The way I see it you have two basic options. If you wish us to leave we will do so. If you would prefer to work with us we can join our efforts and see a prosperous future for Brez and it’s people. Present and future .”

Vektor smirked, “Thia is Brez. Don’t be sure of anything.” I he looked back to the K’iorn General. “She just said you do not wish to reclaim these lands. You said the opposite, which is it?”

General Ma’pel paused for a moment.
“Ah apologies. I did not mean “reclaim” in that sense, rehabilitate is perhaps a better word to use.”

Vector cocked his head for a moment. “Reclaim and rehabilitate are not two words one confuses easily. My Earther may not be the best, but I am not so stupid as believe the words are interchangeable. Especially since right after that you said we weren’t consulted because we have no government, which is wrong, we have quite a lot of government here. And when it comes to rehabilitation, I find it strange that the first thing you build is something that brings things from very far away to go somewhere else very far away. I am not convinced that either of your offers are genuine, General.”