Krodnok comes to the Domed City of Karov

Kalok was a problem.

Krodnok had sent the Flying Armory to the volcano at Mt. Rhug, to try to put an end to the False God, but, while he expected the volcano to be gone, he was sure Kalok would find a way to survive.

The Devotion was growing, but not as fast as Krodnok would like it to. And now, he needed it to be larger than it was. Kalok had to be stopped, and Krodnok was the only one who was close to being able to do it. He just needed more power.

So, he traveled to the newly constructed Dome in Karov. He had heard Bill, of the GulTor’uf, was part of the reconstruction of the city, and Bill is who Krodnok came to see.

Krodnok pitied Bill. He genuinely sought to make Refuge better, but didn’t really get his point across that well. He was blunt, and didn’t waver much in what he wanted. Therefore, negotiating with Bill was tough, and his unwillilingness to compromise in what he wanted had him almost villified in the Goblin Lands. Almost to the point where he was used as a pawn of sorts. Unfortunately, while Krodnok pitied Bill, the Dead God had come to Karov to use Bill, as well.

He arrived at the gates, announced his intention to speak with Bill, and waited to be allowed inside. Once inside the city, he didn’t enter any buildings, or interact with any of the civilians. He waited in an open courtyard, and waited for Bill to be brought to him.

Uhryu (Bill)

Bill knew of Krodnok. He knew him when he was dead, looking like a normal grey fur. Now he looks like some kind of nightmare abomination, one told in stories to the young of the quall.

There is always something the dead wanted, always something the never told him. This was not going to be an enjoyable visit.

“Greetings Krodnok, It has been a while since we last talked. It seems that some thing you are possessed by a demonic entity”

When Bill mentioned the ‘possession’, Krodnok laughed. That was something that had been brought up multiple times, even since the feind had left him and subsequently destroyed.

“Yes, yes,” Krodnok began. "That. Well, if you must know, I’ve never been possessed by a demon. I did, however, have one living in my head for a while. Was fairly valuable, learned a lot. Those who think I’m still ‘possessed’ can see the residual energy it left in me. As well as the energy that my Hell-Guns exude.

“None of that matters, though. I’m here for a reason. Kalok is a problem, and needs to be put down. I can do it, but I’m not quite where I need to be, so far as how large my religion is. I’m here to see if any of your city’s residents would consider converting, and following me as their God.”

Uhyru (Bill)

My city? This isn’t my city, this is a city for all of Karov. A place of refuge from those who decided that power is what they follow. A place of solitude from those like the Kolgol tribe and their Kalok.

And you want me to what? Allow you to go and solicit yourself, trying to do the same thing?

Krodnok looked visibly offended when Bill compared him to Kalok. “You’re very off-putting, Bill,” Krodnok said. “Might be why you don’t have a lot of friends, and why your whole tribe was displaced. You, uh… You may want to work on your ‘people-skills’.”

“And the difference, my dear 'gog, is that i give my followers the choice to follow me, where as Kalok… That thing demands, not just followers, but sacrifices.”

They were outside in a courtyard, so he paused for a moment, and waited for a small crowd to gather. “I seek peace for this world, Bill,” Krodnok said. "For all worlds. And not peace the way the UtR or the Der’al Collective wants it. I want peace, with no-one ‘in-charge’. With no-one ruling over others. Peace. As we speak, I have a feral child traveling with the pacifist Yyan Kol, so that she can learn what true peace is. So that she can teach others.

“Her role in this is great,” Krodnok continued. “But so is mine. If peace is to ever be achieved, the hostile elements must be removed. Kalok, the Warmonger, the rest of the Ancient Evils… even the UtR and D.C., if they continue to stand in the way of peace.”

He looked around at those gathered. “Peace like this is acheiveable. I can do it. I am a God. A true God. I demand nothing of my followers. Worship if you choose.”

Uhryu (Bill)

You’re not a god, I have seen you die. How can you call yourself anything close to a god if you died?

I have seen the repercussions of the UTR, and all I can conclude is that those who seek power surround themselves with power. This leads to conflict, like the current one with Kalok. Gultor’uf spoke to the Deral Collective, to try and form something that would help all gogs. They quickly made laws without thinking about the repercussions, and then started poisoning with there vampyres. This lead to ruin of my tribe, because they gathered those in power to punish those without much of it.

Setting up governance by those who seek power only leads to tyranny and destruction. What you are asking is that others worship you, and you fix everyone that doesn’t agree, seemingly by removing the ability to struggle, the hostile element as you call it.

What you are trying to be sounds like a slaver. Take a look at the gogs that came from Grimaldous [sp?], they are the closest thing to having hostilities removed, and we consider them in need of great help. They can barely take care of themselves, always asking permission to do even the most basic of activities including if they can defecate.

Right now your proposition sounds similar to that, explain how yours is different from essentially making us slaves to you.

“I don’t seek slaves, Bill. And I’m offended by the fact that you seem to think I do. Continue to insult me, and we will have problems.”

Krodnok composed himself. “My followers worship willingly. If you don’t worship me, fine. That’s your choice. I have no problem with struggle. It’s the struggle, not for power, but for rule, that is the issue. Seeking power for power is fine. Power is just power. How it is used depends on wether or not power is a detriment or not. Power allows a person to defend themselves, and those they care for. The second you take that power, and try to take power from others, or lord it over those without it… That is where the problem lies.”

He smiled. “The Der’al Collective took their power, and used it to take any power that you and your tribe may had. Kalok has power, and demands that others serve him, because they don’t have as much power as he does.”

Krodnok looked at Bill intently. “I seek power, to protect those who can’t protect themselves. I seek to remove power from those who would use their power to actually enslave the weak. Once this goal is completed, I sit back, and allow the seeds of peace I am sowing to actually grow, and allow Refuge to stop destroying itself.”

Uhryu (Bill)

I have often to use strong words, to show others my points. This is because of others that have taken power refuse to listen unless I say something strongly. The last time we tried to be reasonable was with Torlallur, where one of the main things we wanted was them to stop infecting others, especially the unwilling. From that experience, I learned that speaking strongly is the way to speak.

I didn’t mean to offend you. Your actions that I know of have been generous , offering to help others survive the flamewinds. These actions are good, and it looks like you are doing this for the wellbeing of others. But I have also worked with Yyan Kol, and he often times has to reign you in. Because of this, I have concerns with what you plan to do with your power.

You are right about ruling, I have seen the inner workings of the Der’al collective and there way of rule leaves me feeling empty and hollow. The UTR is worse, from what I have seen, Kalok may be a testament to that.

You say you sow the seeds of peace, but how will you solve the disputes that happen between tribes?

Krodnok bowed his head in acknowledgment of Bill’s apology before he spoke. “What I plan to do with my power, is exactly what I said I plan to do with it. Yyan Kol has tried to reign me in before, only because he doesn’t agree with violence. At all, reallly. He believes peace can just happen if everyone just sets their blades down and walks away. And it could. But you and I both know, that will never happen.”

“As for tribal disputes… I don’t seek to rule. It won’t be up to me to solve these things. Once peace is achieved, then we work on some sort of council. However, that is not my problem. I’m not looking to answer all the questions right now. One step at a time.”

Uhryu (Bill)

A plan is needed for rule, though. If you don’t plan on something that prevents a single gog from taking power, a single gog will take power. Sort of like what is happening with the UTR very few gogs speak for many. They started with a council, and it quickly became few in power with others following them.

I have though about this a long time, and whatever system of rule gets put in needs to have power over something, but others need to have power over them.

For example, I’m trying to set up a unified Karov government here. The basic idea is that if it happens inside a tribe, the tribe deals with it unless they ask for help . If it deals with two tribes, the larger governance deals with it.

I plan on having the larger government broken up into several pieces, each with power of some others.

For example, we would have a council that makes rules regulating the differences between tribes.

And another group that would be in charge of enforcing those laws.

If the council made a self serving or unjust law, the ones enforcing the laws could not enforce it.

That way there is a balance of power

the groups would be

Council of leaders (most likely a council of Mag’ols in karov but its not mandated to have the blood line) creaters of the rules that manage between tribes and some major issues (like banning of slaver)
The enforcer of rules (Likely Gor’abs) responsible for enforcing the laws
The leaders of learning (likely Uhryus) responsible for teaching the younger members, providing basic education and finding the masters to apprentices the younglings to when they decide on a job.
The storer of goods The gogs responsible for distributing the excess food and resources by tribes to where they are needed.
Gatherers The gogs that gather materials from the ground, including plants
Hunters those who Hunt the game, and keep our borders safe.
Craftsman Those who create things from raw materials, and trade with other tribes.
Warriors Those gogs who devote their life to protection of all in Karov, and that focus matters of others invading us
Distributors/Civil Engineers Those who build the Cities and towns, and makes sure there is transportation between each of it. They would be also responsible for transporting goods to where they are needed to go

Without plans for something that limits those in power, other than you intervening, it is highly likely a few gogs will take power when you are done. If you truly want peace, you will need to set up something like this, to limit those in power while giving them power over others.

I once heard my son say, those who want power are not ready to wield it. And so far I have seen this as true.

Krodnok can see Bill is hesitant, and that is has to do less with Krodnok, and more of Krodnoks quest for power

Krodnok shook his head. "Bill, your plan is sound. Unfortunately, my part in this likely will not be finished until long after you have died of age. Kalok will be easy. It’s the Ancient Evils that will take time to hunt down and eliminate.

“I’d leave you in charge of setting up this government, but in order for that to happen, you would need to be made into a Dead. That’s why I haven’t thought this out myself. Because it’s such a long time from now. Any steps taken towards that government will end up beinvg torn down, while I’m still hunting Evils. I have to eliminate the Evils first, make Refuge a place of peace, and then the finer details can be worked out.”

Krodnok looked at the crowd, then back to Bill. “There’s a very good chance that peace will not be achieved during this generation, or even the next five. But, if it’s ever going to happen, the building blocks need to be put in place now. Growing the Devotion, gathering followers, is setting the fouundation for what needs to be done.”

Uhryu (Bill)

Ancient Evils ?! Bills says as his eyes narrow; You want to take on the ancient evils?

“Yes, Bill,” Krodnok said. “I mean to take on the Ancient Evils. Warmonger first. Honestly, destroying the Warmonger, to me, presents an easier task that uniting the Olgog tribes peacefully… I just need the power. The Olgogs seem to WANT to fight, and in turn they feed the Beast. So, I destroy the Beast, they can fight all they want.”

Uhryu (Bill)

• silence abounds as Uhryu shifts his weight from one leg to another*

Most of my recent problems have been disagreement with others who take power and wield it for there own wants. You ask for power, but what sort of checks will there be against the power you gain?

As much as you have shown your trustworthiness, It seems like we would be trading Kalok and Warmonger for you? What will prevent you from becoming the monsters you expect to take down?

Krodnok smiled at Bill. “The checks, Bill, will be my followers,” he said. “If I get too out of control, they stop believing, I lose the power. It’s that simple.”

Uhryu (Bill)

This I find hard to believe, I have seen many acts called good while they were truly evil. Take a look at the Oners, they have faith but their acts are evil, killing others in the name of good.

It doesn’t seem hard to get ones that believe in you to do the same.

“Their acts are evil, Bill, as we see them,” Krodnok responded. "However, to them, they are righteous. Because of their beliefs. Because the church preaches those beliefs, and follows through with action. if the Church, suddenly, changed their ways, went against their teachings, they would lose followers. If the faithful were shown a different way, they would leave the Church. I have followers of my own, who converted to me, who are ex-Churchers. Proof of what I say is right there.

“I have told my followers everything that I am telling you. What my intentions are. Should I go against what I have told them, I will lose followers. Just as the Church did.” Krodnok paused for a moment. “Mortals are subject to free-will. True believrs share the same mindset as the diety they worship. Which is why their faith grants such power.”

Uhryu (Bill)

I don’t disagree with you on any of those points. But experience tells me if a power arises with no checks leads to tyranny. If I am going to condone anyones rise to power it will be one where there is some sort of balance, in case power itself corrupts the gog.

“Power is not the force that corrupts, Bill,” Krodnok responded. “In seven thousand years, I’ve never known of any being that became corrupted by power alone. The true corrupting force is desire What you wish to do with the power. You know what I wish to do. I can’t be any more clear.”

He stopped there, and turned away from Bill. Trying to get the point across to him was pointless. So, instead, he addressed the crowd.

"There are things, beings that exist, that will tear the whole of existence apart, just to be the one who rules over everything. This is an issue. An issue that I seek to resolve.

"I can stop them. But I need help. I need more strength, power. Everything you’ve heard me say so far is true. I am looking to put an end to the Ancient Evils. But, right now, I am not quite strong enough. Put your faith in me, and I can stop them. And, if you aren’t worried about the Ancient Evils, maybe you’ll worry about the threat that currently exists now, on Refuge.

“The Demon-God Kalok is on Refuge, and seeks to subjugate and dominate the entire planet. Maybe further. It needs to be stopped. I have the ability, but seeing its display of sheer power at Simonsburg, I’m not strong enough. Before it comes here, give me the power I need to put it down. Help me keep you, and all of Refuge, safe.”

He paused, and let what he had just said sink in. Then he continued "Kalok WILL come here, for what this place represents. Simonsburg was attacked, and hundreds died, because Simonsburg was home to both Earthers and Olgogs, and was a symbol that unity between the races could be achieved. This place represents the same, with many different Feral tribes coming together.

“But, it also represents hope. This place is an actual visual, physical attempt to set some kind of peace in motion. That goes against everything Kalok wants. And he will attack this place. it is only a matter of time. Unless I can put him down first. To do that, I need to be stronger. To achieve that, I’ll need all of you. Believe in me. Put your faith in me. Help me help you, and I will keep this place safe, so that it can grow into what it will become.”

“I am Dead, yes. But, I assure you, I am no ordinary Dead.” He removed his gauntlets, and began creating, and playing with, small wisps of flame, crackling spheres of electricity, and bright orbs of light. “Bill tells you I have died, and I tell you that I have. On multiple occassions. And yet I stand before you, more powerful than any Dead Olgog before me.”

Krodnok gestured back at Bill. “This idea, and the things he says… He’s right. This city, the rebuilding, it’s all positive. He is trying to lead you down the right path. Walk with him, and find a future free of Earther oppression, and Olgog warring. Have faith in me, and find a future without tyrrany, free from those who would make slaves of you.”

Krodnok looked back to Bill. He grinned wide, winked, and dissapeared.

(Ooc: When Krodnok begins playing with the fire, lightning, and light, it’s all very low level Leyas, just enough to make the spheres and lights. At the end, when he dissapeared, he’s using Teleport.

Near the back of the crowd, one of the Wild Gor’abs drew a scimitar so ancient it was little more than a sharpened wedge of Zela metal. The Wild Gor’ab watched the Dead with disdain.

He finally rose to his feet and walked forward pushing through the crowd of ferals drawn by the flashing lights. At the moment Krodnok went to disappear, he instead held the dead in place with his will alone. As he approached his hands moved in complex gestures, until they finally came to rest in a fist over an open hand.

“What sort of city has Karov become when a Dead is allowed to prostelytize to the ignorant and draw them away from the words of the Uhryu?” roared the Wild Gor’ab, “I am Hurlok Abtor and I demand the Dead SPEAK THE TRUTH!”

Suddenly Krodnok found his mouth barely under his own control.

Hurlok Abtor snarled and said, “I know the Flesh and Spirit Dance, Krodnok. You are a Dead, even though you claim to be a God. Tell us the truth and you may not lie!!”

[Using the power of the Gor’ab Flesh and Spirit Dweller, Hurlok has forced Krodnok so he can only speak the truth. No manipulative statements, only the purest of truth. The Dead will never lie when a Flesh and Spirit Dweller speaks through them. Even Krodnok’s self worship does not protect against this Undead weakness.]

Krodnok felt his mouth moving and despite his desire to leave and teleport away his mouth said, “What do you wish to know, Honored Gor’ab? By the bond of the Flesh and Spirit Dance, you have claimed the truth from the Dead. Ask and I must answer!”

Krodnok grew a bit frightened at that. He knew the Gor’ab hunted criminals by consulting the dead, but never expected it to work on him.

“How many living beings have you killed in your quest for Godhood?” asked Hurlok Abtor.

[Krodnok has to answer honestly]