Through the Shadow to Krodnok's Lab

Tla’ab said "Wish you were not so late. We were just trying to destroy the Unit 111 soldiers, but had to retreat here. Unfortunately destroying the portal so the dead could not give chase. Sorry Krodnok, I felt we had to, otherwise we would all be dead and most likely thrown in their machine. It was Unit 111. I’m not sure where we are right now. But I would bet Unit 111 is on the move now.

This would be the 2nd time my tribe has fought them. They attacked my tribe a few weeks back. We had killed those that attacked, including a leader type.

I also see how your looking at the members of Unit 817. They do not follow the warmonger and instead fight against him. I would not recommend raising your weapons against them."

A weak cough from a corner of the room caught the attention of those gathered. Uth’lal staggered forward, looking to be near death’s door. He did not like to ask help from those who did not owe it to him, and as a sign of this, a grimace crossed his face as he said,

“I will accept your healing good Uriel. My men and I have been badly wounded.”

Lolon looks at Uth’lal gogs, if any can’t wait for healing, he will use a healing potion on them. Others he’ll let get healed by the Uriel. They only have a limited supply of potions until they can get home.

Tla’ab thought about all of this, and they needed to get back and report to the tribe soon. The elders needed to know what they know.

Uriel set to work healing staring with Uth’lal and his troops. He would continue with healing as anyone else asked. Despite Erwin’s harsh words Uriel himself did not react in any visible way to what Philip had said. He spoke rapidly as he worked in a distracted voice.
“Very well first what Tla’ab says is true no one here is hostile the Dead are currently free of Warmongers control. Although he.” he pointed briefly at Krodnok, “Appears to have made some sort of arrangement with a demon. But evidently is not under its control.” He looked at Krodnok but did not pause in his work. “How were you able to do that? It’s very rare. Are you fully aware you made a deal? If it was some sort of accident and you’d like to be rid of it I can most likely banish it from you. It seems to be a very mean one you know.” Not waiting for an answer he continued to Erwin.
“At any rate this structure was connected to a Dead factory that is partly active and being used by Unit 111 to upgrade its troops to Dead Warmachines. I know that situation is less than ideal however a strike on this location would be premature. First we must determine where the factory is in relation to this place. We got here via a fixed shadow walk, presently I am not sure how far we traveled that way and as you heard the way was closed to keep Unit 111 from following us. They had been engaged with a tribe of pit mongrels. I fear that battle will not last much longer however. Where are we now exactly? We should be able to work out the distance to the factory.”

Erwin said, “The Olgogs call it the trail of Auf Maglal.”
Pulling out a tactical map he showed it was many many miles away from the actual tomb factory.

Looking over at Krodnok with a newfound respect he said, "Uriel here has a reputation as knowing what he says. Only a fool or an idiot, im looking at you philip, would ignore his assessment. And he says what you got inside you doesnt have control. So i believe him.

So what is really going on down here?"

Having been healed by Uriel, Uth’lal stood and brushed himself off. He extended his hand in the earther way, and said

“My thanks Uriel, we will not forget this.”

As if suddenly becoming aware of the other figures in the room, he stepped back and looked in surprise around the room. Formidable fighters to be sure, but why were they here? How had they gotten here and what did they intend to do with the non-earthers in the room?

Tla’ab turns on his leyas site looking for Candy and anyone else hiding.

Uriel took the offered hand and shook it. "Happy to be of assistance."He said then he consulted Erwin’s map closely. After a short pause he looked back up to the group.
“It seems we have traveled approximately three hundred miles from the factory. As for what is happening there.” He continued to Erwin and the reinforcements.“Unit 111 of Warmongers Dead are building their forces. They are awaiting Warmongers Flagship which they claim is set to escape the prison dimension. Should that occur we will be facing the end of reality as we know it. On the bright side Holys the blackhole warrior bound in the factory is still dormant so at least for now he is not a concern. However I fear in their haste Unit 111 may awaken him. This would of course also be bad.”

Tla’ab says "We need to get back to the tribes and warn them of this. None of them know what has happened here. And if defenses are not strengthened, the tribes could be in trouble. How far away the Ships we left are? "

Uth’lal shook his head sadly.

“Defenses? What kind of defense could we mount against Warmonger himself? Against a black hole warrior? No, I say we must attack with whatever strength we have, in order to do our best to stop this now. They will not expect another counterattack, and besides we have reinforcements” he gestured at the newcomers. " I think… Anyways, it would be better to deal with the problem while it is weak, before it builds up too much. Who knows? Maybe the pit mongrels would join us to avenge their fallen…"

Tla’ab then said “How would we get back there? 300 miles is a long distance away.”

Krodnok looked to Uriel. “The demon doesn’t have control, you’re right,” he said. “As for making some sort of deal with it, that’s where you’re wrong.”

He pointed towards the door that was around the bend, that led off into the altar room. “There is an altar in the next room. The demon was somehow locked in it. I didn’t realise it was a demon at first, but I felt the power it radiated. I touched the altar, and the thing invaded my head. It was extrodinarily difficult, but through force of will, I beat the thing into submission.”

He looked back to Uriel. “Accident, yes. Do I want to be rid of it? No. At least not yet. It has been somewhat useful so far, and I feel that it still can be.”

Krodnok then turned to Erwin. “As for ‘what’s going on down here’, i don’t know yet. I’ve only been able to take a look around, not truely explore the place yet. I do know that there are some things down here that I plan on working with. There’s some work to be done, but if you’re concerned with wether or not I’m a threat or an ally… Don’t give me a reason to be a threat, you’ll be able to count me as an ally. At least to an extent.”

Erwin seemed concerned glancing over an Uriel a few times then finally said to Krodnok, "Both you and the colonies havean interest in this place. If we didnt work for the company that would mean conflict.

But Uriel vouched for you not being the enemy. if you dont mind Uriel sticking around to make sure that demon doesnt get loose we may be able to work something out. Gimme a sec"

Erwin commed back to base and spoke for a few moments with McMurphy as evidenced by the name McMurphy being stated with frequency.

Then Erwin said, "Okay so here is our offer. Im not going to blow smoke up your arse. Its an opportunity for you to prove yourself.
The company is willing to offer you a salaried position. Pay upfront each week in exchange for open access for Uriel too look after the work that goes on here. This will allow you to keep this lab with official sanction and continue your archaology here.

We dont care that you are living impaired, well philip cares but his opinion dont count."

Erwin had never negotiated a hiring contract with an undead before but there was a first time for everything.

“And of course you have to allow Uriel access at all times to check up on you and the work.
Any interest getting paid for what you would do anyway? Of course you would be responsible for protecting this place from the Warmonger Loyalists.”

“Beat it into submission?” Uriel asked with surprise in his voice. “Well it is possible for a forced possession to be resisted but it’s very rare for the host to win.” Uriel also knew that the most likely explanation was that the demon saw profit for itself in some design of Krondoc’s and so decided that it was easier to just hitch a ride than fight for control, but he decided to let the matter drop for now. “I will have to examine this alter before we leave.” he absently stated instead. “Edwin how did you arrive here?”

“AAV, the pilot is still circling in case we needed an expedient extraction”, Erwin said.

Krodnok considered for a moment. He had just been offered a ‘job’, he believed they were called. Do what you want to do, but the Earthers want to keep tabs on you, so they’re willing to pay you to do it.

He looked around. Uriel was the one who had spoken up and vouched for him, and the current arrangement was for Uriel to periodically check in. Could be worse, he thought.

He wasn’t too keen on the idea of working for the Earthers, though, considering he didn’t like, or really trust them. He was a little conflicted, though, considering his recent run-in with Phoenixkiller…

Krodnok looked over at Erwin. “How exactly would this deal work? Should I decide to work with you, what will I be paid, and how intrusive into my work do you plan on being?”

He then considered a moment. He then turned to Bo’gan. “Sorry about all this. I don’t really intend to continue to push the matter of your lost leader to the end of the list. I’d like to get this over with, however, so that we can have our discussion. The sooner I wrap this up, and everyone leaves, the sooner we can get down to business.”

Uth’lal nodded.

“Yes if we could get this done with, I’m his ride home” he said, pointing at Bog’an.

He took a quick tally of his men, and found that one was missing, naturally, it was Pluto. Uth’lal looked around worriedly to try to find the old olgog. Had he come back through the portal? Had he been overlooked in the fighting? Unknown to Uth’lal, he was on Agent Candy’s trail, curious as to what she was doing. He had wandered off when she had first left, and summarily missed the fighting that ensued afterwards. Now he walked among the hidden labs, trying to find meaning amongst them.

“Erwin did they discuss a check in schedule?” Uriel asked. “I suppose I would need access to all of your notes and of course you could be given a com crystal if you needed to speak with me.” He continued to Krodnok.

“Fantastic!” Krodnok exclaimed. “Another comm crystal to keep track of,” he then grumbled.

He looked over at Uth’lal. “By the way, have you seen Pluto? He seemed interested in some of the stuff we found out and about in here. I was hoping he could stay for a bit and help study some of this stuff.”

It was obvious that Erwin was not a bureaucratic Kiou and despite his dwarvish stature he said, “Our usual rate of pay for this sort of job would be 20 ghaz in coin per week but they tell me Olgogs down here frown on that sort of thing…um…er …currency. Instead the company can offer 40 ghaz worth of colonial goods, tools, gear, lowtech weapons, armor etc to be delivered each week. Each week you decide what you or the lab needs and we will deliver it as payment.”

"You can stay here and continue your work along with anyone you designate. Uriel will check in on you once a week at least. Though from how interested he is, Uriel may want to stay and help with the research. He like you are a free agent so we will leave that up to him.

Your only official job beyond maintaining this excavation will be protecting it from Warmonger’s Dead still serving the old Kias Empire.

I dont know the first thing about archaelogy so i really will have to defer to Uriel as to how instrusive his presence would be."

Bo’gan waited impatiently in the corner. He could tell this conversation seemed beneficial to Krodnok and as Krodnok held his master he currently waited hoping the negotiations did not drag on.

Bo’gan also didnt like Kiou but since Erwin was here on colonial business Bo’gan kept his mouth shut.